An autobiography depicting a young soldier’s difficult experiences of disturbing flashbacks and images as he attempts to return to civilian life as a student after serving in the war in Iraq.
Each person copes with stress and problems differently. When you are under stress or have problems, how likely are you to do each of the following?
Write down the most appropriate number for each statement:
1=Never 2=Seldom 3=Sometimes 4=Usually 5=Always
1. Drink alcoholic beverages.
2. Talk it out with others.
3. Read about the problem.
4. Don’t worry about it.
5. Keep busy so can’t think about it.
6. Eat More.
7. Eat less.
8. Smoke marijuana.
9. Work it out through exercise.
10. Curse, swear, yell.
11. Smoke cigarettes, cigars, pipes.
12. Sleep more.
13. Sleep less.
15. Try to find the humor in it.
16. Take drugs (pep pills, etc.)
18. Make alternative plans.
19. Expect the worst.
20. Try to forget it.
21. Put it in God’s hands.
23. Look for the good in it.
24. Indulge in reckless behavior.
25. Accept it.
26. Hope for a miracle.
27. Keep my feelings to myself.
28. Ask others for advice.
29. Escape from it for awhile.
30. Wait to see what happens.
31. Treat myself to something special.
32. Get involved in hobby/activity.
33. Find out more about it.
34. Resort to contemplative moods.
35. Become more involve with nature.
36. Take definite action.
37. Draw on past experience.
From Bereavement Support Groups: Leadership Manual, Grief Education Institute,
Make three columns, one for fight, one for flight, and one for facing it head on. Find below each number and its coping category. Put the score for each number in the appropriate column. Add up the total scores for each of the three categories. The Category that has the highest score is your primary coping pattern. Note: Each pattern can be useful as a part of the natural grief process. Using at least five coping responses, how do you think you could help yourself during times of stress and grief.
Fight: 9, 10, 11, 19, 21, 24, 26, 30, 32, 35, 37
Flight: 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 12, 13, 16, 20 22, 27, 29, 31, 34
Awareness: 2, 3, 15, 17, 18, 23, 25, 28, 33, 36